I set a few goals for myself and Lola to reach before her little brother arrives! 1. Lola must be potty trained! Success! She did great, easy cheesy for the most part! Cant afford two kiddos being in diapers, nor do I want to change two kiddos diapers! : ) 2. Move Lola from her crib into a big girl bed. This one I gave a truckload of thought to because Lola LOVED her crib! (And never climbed out!) She would play happily in there for hours, and I had been warned by many that when you make the switch to a bed, naps and such go out the window. Also with baby #2 being a c-section it will be impossible for me to get her in and out of bed for a while. So that is why I decided the time to do it is now, while I can focus on her, making it exciting and special, and try and get her back into a routine of napping in her new bed! Lets just say everyone who warned me was right! Naps have pretty much all but seized to exist these days, which is brutal! But it could be worse had I waited until baby Logan is here and then tried to make the switch. She still has "quiet time" (which is not very quiet) everyday. For the first time in weeks she took a nap the last two days and I am hoping it'll become the new normal again!
Alrighty, on to the bedroom! As you saw in a previous post I made Lola's curtains for her room, and once I saw her bed all set up I quickly decided it was screaming for matching pillows! William said I was ambitious with my sewing projects considering how much I have sewn before, but of course I needed to add ruffled edging and zippers! : ) My husband is the best, he always walks me through what I am doing! Even though this pillow project took place at 2am since I wanted them finished before a baby shower we were having at our home the next day, I heard not one complaint from my overly tired hubby! :) After a trip to Joanns, I had all my supplies and got to work! I decided to buy the pillows that are ready to insert and just sew cases for them. I have made other pillows that I stuffed myself and they just turned out looking so lumpy! It took a while to pin and sew the ribboned ruffles, but I couldn't be happier with how they turned out! (Some of these photos are just iphone photos so excuse the quality!)
Final Product:
Here is a picture of Lola's room from when her crib was still in it, her room seemed a lot bigger! When we bought her crib we decided to go with a convertible crib so that when this time came we could just move her into a full size bed and skip the toddler bed stage all together. I am super happy we decided to do that! I cant even count how many times everyone told me to give Lola's crib to Logan, which seems like the logical thing to do, but I wanted to keep her bedroom set together! We bought another convertible crib for Logan's room that matches a dresser picked out just for him! Both our kids now have bedroom sets that will last them a very long time! It is really nice now when Lola wakes up in the middle of the night upset, or is sick, that we can just go crawl in bed with her, and not let her get in the habit of joining us in our bed... something we never have and never will start with any of our kids! :)





This picture was Lolas first night in her new bed! She was sooo excited to have a bed just like mommy and daddys! We made the change on a Friday evening expecting it to be slightly challenging, but it was as smooth as one could have hoped! She has rails that pop up on either side so she doesn't fall out! :) Doesn't she look so little in this huge bed? Half the time she sleeps upside down or sideways!
Before:
After:
teresa, SO cute!! and did you paint those diamonds all by yourself?? i'm exhausted just looking at it!
ReplyDeleteonce again....wonderful job!! :-) when we gave chloe our queen bed and we upgraded to a king...she looked so small in it but i can't imagine going down now. It's great..we all can fit in her bed at bedtime to read books and snuggle. Chloe too is all over the place. Everytime i check on her, she is in a different spot.
ReplyDelete** Careful what you say about never joining you in bed... it does happen from time to time and as you approach 2 kids, once and awhile, it will sound appealing to just bring one in with you (just don't make it an every night thing and you'll be fine). It happens on occasion around here but usually, i too bring them back to bed. We do have our weekly cuddle up night which is sundays since chuck was in portland but other than that..they are well established in their own beds. I got side tracked..sorry. Just wanted to mention that if it happens...it is ok. You gotta allow for those times when you are just exhausted and don't want to fight the battle at that moment. :-)
Again...beautiful job on Lola's room. I wish I had your ambition on decorating.
Kate, thanks! William is the expert measurer and then I paint! : )
ReplyDeleteJen, thanks! The no kiddos in bed is just what we have found to work regarding sleeping overnight : ) We would not sleep a wink if Lola is in bed with us, it would be a different story if we had a king size bed! She always crawls in with me in the morning, or us on the weekend mornings which is really nice! : )
Great work on the pillows! I LOVE the ruffles!! =P Glad things are going relatively well, although I don't envy the end of naps.
ReplyDeleteWow! Michael totally wanted to do a diamond pattern on Gideon's wall, but I thought it would be way too difficult. I'm impressed with Lola's wall! It looks great! The pillows are really cute too! You are great a decorating!
ReplyDeleteHer room is SO cute! From nannying I can tell you that a lot of the time Ole would end up in his bed or on the floor sleeping during "quiet time" after he changed to a big bed when he was 2; so there's hope for Lola!
ReplyDeleteWow..what a fun room..fit for a Diva!
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog..sweet family!